Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Spooktacular Night

Mark had a very active day. He began to talk and boy does he have a lot to say. Most of it pretty funny. He refers to his nurse as "The Soup Nazi". He says she has diagnosed him with some crazy disease I can't even begin to spell. He is trying to win all the doctors and nurses over with his carisma and I think he is succeeding. I know it's hard to imagine but you have to lean over close to him to hear him talk although I know that powerful load voice is still in there. He has become confused several times today but I am praying that is still due to the amount of time he has been down and amount medicine in his system.

He went through phase #1 of the swallow study and did good but Brad, the speech therapist will have to do some type of an exray in the morning as he swallow to insure everything is properly going down the esophagus vs the lungs.

We are anxiously awaiting the trauma surgeon to come and assess him. As I understand he is what stands between ICU and moving to a private room out of ICU. Tara, a social worker is working on getting us our options for possible transfer to Cape or Sikeston when he is ready.

The email I receive lift my spirits and I love each of you. Thank you for loving us so much. When something like this happens you need everyone in the support system to make it through. Don't think for a minute I am any super strong person each of you would do the same thing for that special person that means the world to you. He is still not really ready for visitors one now and then is OK but he so strong willed he seems to try to over perform to let them know he is going to be OK.

Hope you all received lots of treats and no tricks! For those of you who saw my little munchin tonight I know you squeezed him a little harder and made him realize what a special little guy he is. Thank you.

Love,
Stephanie

5 comments:

Mark's Family said...

Mark are we glad to here the miracle that has taken place. We were devastated about your accident. I had called Flo hoping we could all get together on the thurs. and that is when she told me. We have been reading the blogs everyday and you have been in our thoughts and prayers. We were going to come up to Regina. Troy came home and wanted to see you, but we became grandparents on the night you flew back to the States. I was happy for your family that you were able to go home. We had another grandson. that makes 3 (ALL BOYS) His name is Ryder Michael. My daughter Amy is due in March. We are busy, in a good way. I will keep reading the blogs and with every passing day be expecting to here more good news. Friends. Dennis & Cindy, Trevor Jill Kalen & Ryder, Amber, Rodney & Will. Amy & Curtis, Troy & Jessica.

Mark's Family said...

Stephanie and Mark--

Rod and I must check the blog a dozen times a day between us! I have been so touched by your notes and comments. Today's note about him speaking almost made me cry....the magnitude of what has happened and how far you all have come in the healing process is so amazing. It goes without saying that the gifts of God and the skills he has given the medical teams are incredible. But, anyone reading the posts can see how much you have meant in bringing Mark along. You are a tower of strength girl!! There will be none too few of us that will be reminding Mark of that! Being so far away, we have felt so helpless in helping you all face the challenges. So, we did and continue to lift you all up in our prayers and keep you in our thoughts. We can see how much you all mean by the way everyone has rallied in support of you guys. Everyone in "the biz" is buzzing about Mark as we all give new meaning to the phrase "status moni toring!" Take care of yourselves and don't hesitate to call on us for anything!! We can't wait until Mark is well enough to take visitors....we might just have to take a little road trip....Rod and Sadie

Mark's Family said...

We’ve been reading all the great news on your progress. You’re in our prayers buddy. Can’t wait to see you when you make it back here to Sikeston. We got ducks that need killin’.

Get well soon!!!

God bless,

Brian and Kristi Ottis

Mark's Family said...

Hey Mark and family

I know you guys are hanging in there. It sounds like all the news is good so that is in deed a blessing. Tell Mark that my family and I have been praying for him and for you guys as well. He is indeed a trooper and I am blessed to have him as a good friend. I know his fighting spirit will prevail and he will be fine. He is as remarkable a person as I have had the pleasure to know and I have tremendous respect for him. The way he carries himself personally and in business can be an inspiration to anyone. Anyway, enough of the sappy stuff, get well soon buddy. We'll see you shortly.

Best Wishes

Will Yarbrough

Stephanie G. said...

Mark and Stephanie,

I am so thankful and excited for you and your family. Stephanie, you have been telling that staff since Mark arrived that he was on overachiever and he is just proving you right. Jim had a great visit with Mark and was so glad to be able to see him. We will be excited to have him closer to home. Clayson had a great night last night and I never saw him without a smile on his face and going full out! I don't think those little lets slowed down until he hit the pillow. Looking foward to the news of the day. Will pray for his release and transfer! Lots of love, Stephanie G.